Mobile app

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
BitingBummer

Mobile app

Post by BitingBummer »

Hi,
I'm looking for a mobile app that supports both android and ios. Is there anything like that?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Mobile app

Post by Kent Briggs »

BitingBummer wrote:I'm looking for a mobile app that supports both android and ios. Is there anything like that?
There's no such thing since that's two different operating systems. The default client runs on ios and android browsers and is guaranteed to be in sync with the included server module (which could never happen if it was distributed separately).

http://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/MobileTips.htm
BitingBummer

Post by BitingBummer »

Kent Briggs wrote:
BitingBummer wrote:I'm looking for a mobile app that supports both android and ios. Is there anything like that?
There's no such thing since that's two different operating systems. The default client runs on ios and android browsers and is guaranteed to be in sync with the included server module (which could never happen if it was distributed separately).

http://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/MobileTips.htm
There are ways to make hybrid mobile apps which you can compile to both platforms with not too much hassle.
Playing through the browser is not comfortable to my players and I have to find an alternative.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

BitingBummer wrote:There are ways to make hybrid mobile apps which you can compile to both platforms with not too much hassle.
That's the least of the issues. Poker Mavens isn't one site, it's hundreds of different sites, all running different versions, all at different addresses, running under different names. Many of the Gold sites are running without any of my branding. Anything in an app store (side loading isn't allowed in ios) would have my branding on it and couldn't connect to anything without a directory or manual address entry by the player. Then a server update could break all the installed clients. Or the player installs the latest client and that could break if their site is running an older server. It would be logistical nightmare.
Playing through the browser is not comfortable to my players and I have to find an alternative.
Nothing on a 5-inch screen is going to be comfortable. You've got to fit up to 9 opponents on a single view with their associated name plates, avatars, chips stacks, hole cards, bet stacks, pot stacks, side pots, community cards, blind indicators, hand helpers, chat box, bet buttons, option check boxes, menus, etc., etc. A native app versus a web app changes nothing there.
ReddcoinPoker

Post by ReddcoinPoker »

Nothing on a 5-inch screen is going to be comfortable. You've got to fit up to 9 opponents on a single view with their associated name plates, avatars, chips stacks, hole cards, bet stacks, pot stacks, side pots, community cards, blind indicators, hand helpers, chat box, bet buttons, option check boxes, menus, etc., etc. A native app versus a web app changes nothing there.
you have never played on a well coded poker app then. A native app clearly makes a difference.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

ReddcoinPoker wrote:you have never played on a well coded poker app then. A native app clearly makes a difference.
I tried the PokerStars Android app and was not impressed.
ReddcoinPoker

Post by ReddcoinPoker »

Is it a big difference from version 4 to version 5, since I experience a big differnce between the native app and the web version?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

ReddcoinPoker wrote:Is it a big difference from version 4 to version 5, since I experience a big differnce between the native app and the web version?
Yes, the main tabs were removed to give more vertical space and zoom controls were added to the table. See the screenshot here: http://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/MobileTips.htm