Mobile App

Add your suggestions for improving Poker Mavens
hofdiggity

Mobile App

Post by hofdiggity »

With the spread of 3g and wireless access, have you considered the possibility of a mobile client?

I am currently working on making our website mobile friendly, and this quickly came to mind.

How awesome would it be to play some poker with your friends no matter where you are as long as you have got your phone?!?!?!
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Mobile App

Post by Kent Briggs »

hofdiggity wrote:With the spread of 3g and wireless access, have you considered the possibility of a mobile client?
I've licensed software (written prior to PM 2.0) to a company that installs games in sports bars (http://www.w-g-n.com). The client runs on Pocket PCs, where the players see their hole cards and place bets. The table action is fed from the server (a PC) to overhead televisions.
How awesome would it be to play some poker with your friends no matter where you are as long as you have got your phone?!?!?!
One problem is most of the screens are too small to display a full table of player stacks, bets, hole cards, community cards, bet buttons, etc. You need an iPhone type screen for that. Another problem is that they all have proprietary interfaces and only a few support Flash or Flash lite. The iPhone does not support Flash. I'm hoping Google Android will eventually and it becomes a universal standard.
poker4life

Post by poker4life »

What about a itouch and iphone app?

I would definately buy that as well...
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

poker4life wrote:What about a itouch and iphone app?
I don't even know what language those apps use. It probably requires a Mac.
hofdiggity

Post by hofdiggity »

Kent Briggs wrote:I've licensed software (written prior to PM 2.0) to a company that installs games in sports bars (http://www.w-g-n.com). The client runs on Pocket PCs, where the players see their hole cards and place bets. The table action is fed from the server (a PC) to overhead televisions.
Simply Awesome!! You are the MAN!

Kent Briggs wrote:One problem is most of the screens are too small to display a full table of player stacks, bets, hole cards, community cards, bet buttons, etc. You need an iPhone type screen for that. Another problem is that they all have proprietary interfaces and only a few support Flash or Flash lite. The iPhone does not support Flash. I'm hoping Google Android will eventually and it becomes a universal standard.
I remember playing a simple Hold Em' App on a small screen cell phone in which the view slid around the table to always show the pot and the current player.

Either way, thanks for the response, and I am also awaiting more attention to the Android.
hofdiggity

Post by hofdiggity »

I was wondering if you have tried poker mavens on a skyfire browser.

I am a newbie to HTCs, Iphones, and Androids, however, the other day I had the opportunity to play on an HTC. I installed skyfire and immediately tried out pokermavens.

Interesting enough, I managed to get to the login screen. BUT...once there, I was unable to use the on-screen keypad and forgot to try and use the slide keyboard. Therefore, I could not login.

I know skyfire was able to work with search.playlist.com, but it had no sound.

Anyway, if anyone has the access, try to login into poker mavens using Skyfire Browser. I am eager to find a solution to Mobile Poker Play!

Also, I gave Fennec M12 a try on the desktop version, and it did not work.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

hofdiggity wrote:Anyway, if anyone has the access, try to login into poker mavens using Skyfire Browser. I am eager to find a solution to Mobile Poker Play!
I'd be surprised if any of the current mobile devices had enough cpu power or the screen resolution to run it in a playable form.
hofdiggity

Post by hofdiggity »

I believe the skyfire runs somewhat the same as the Quake (Gaming from Browser) setup. I believe the phone is merely remotely connecting to a more powerful machine. Therefore, the phone processing power is extremely low.

In the reviews, users encourage not logging into any highly private websites, for Skyfire will have your login info. Similar to google having all my data.

The screen resolution is definitely a concern. However, my first goal is to access a game from the phone.

If anyone has the opportunity, I would definitely like to know if this works.
hofdiggity

Post by hofdiggity »

Update:

Once again, I was able to access the site using the HTC and skyfire, but I could not type anything into the text boxes. I could click to the registration page, but once again could not fill in the text boxes.

The next phase is to attempt to setup the log-in through url. If I could login, then I wouldn't need to type and could just click access to a game.
hofdiggity

Post by hofdiggity »

WOOT!

I was just able to play a sit n' go through a windows mobile.

Work Around:
Web Browser=Skyfire
1. Use Auto-Login URL
2. Voila (With Sound)!!

Issues:
1. No Chat Capability: Skyfire is unable to use the Flash Text Areas. (Same with Pandora, but not Search Playlist)
2. Image quite small, but if you know the software, it is easily workable. And when I zoom, the image becomes too large to hold all players plus action buttons.

Which leads to my next Wish on the Wish List:
Knowing that Skyfire can handle your flash client, could you make a compressed (Not so spread out) mobile version?

Thanks for all you do and Awesome Work!