servers

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
bc1

servers

Post by bc1 »

will this install on a linux server or does it have to be windows as a few ive ask are linux only???
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: servers

Post by Kent Briggs »

bc1 wrote:will this install on a linux server or does it have to be windows as a few ive ask are linux only???
I know of at least one customer running it on Windows emulation on Linux. I offer no support for that so you're on your own. Poker Mavens is a Windows application and that's the only place I test it. Google for "Windows VPS". There are plenty of Windows hosting services around the world.
bc1

Post by bc1 »

ok thx....and a shared server wont do?? or is ok if one will accept the game??? just to start out i'm thinking til build members, then a transfer to vps... or not recommended at all.[shared].as stated elsewhere in forums etc...i'm sorry for the questions..just weighing all possible options...as in leave on my pc as server or start with actual domain name, server install etc...
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

bc1 wrote:ok thx....and a shared server wont do??
You can't install your own software on a shared server, you won't have the admin rights required. Those shared hosting sites put hundreds of accounts on a single machine. If you locked it up or rebooted it would take everyone down with it. Burst.net has some cheap Windows VPS's. My demo site http://www.pm-demo.com is currently hosted there on a Windows Server 2008 VPS. Don't expect to support hundreds of logins on one of those but it may be a good starting point.
bc1

Post by bc1 »

have you tested a number there for example of what it would handle [reasonably] for a base starter server for me..or a good guess-tamate if possible..not needing hundreds anyway???
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

bc1 wrote:have you tested a number there for example of what it would handle [reasonably] for a base starter server for me..or a good guess-tamate if possible..not needing hundreds anyway???
No, I haven't done any real testing there. My demo site doesn't get much traffic. I'm on their cheapest plan which barely even has enough disk space to operate.