server down frequently

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
social

server down frequently

Post by social »

I'm using a VPS at 1and1.com....
It seems like my server is down every second day or so.
I have to log in remotely, and as soon as I do, Poker Mavens restarts...

Is this a "normal' experience with this kind of server, or with *this* host?

Should I expect these frequent shutdowns?
How can I find out what is causing this?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: server down frequently

Post by Kent Briggs »

social wrote:I'm using a VPS at 1and1.com....
Sounds like you are logging out your Windows session instead of just disconnecting from RDC. If you do that, it closes down all running applications that were started in that session. Either that, or your VPS is being rebooted and PM doesn't restart until you are logging in again. That happens occasionally with my demo site at 1and1.com. I suspect it's because of Windows updating itself. But I just checked and my site has been online for the past 22 days since I patched up to version 2.80.
social

Post by social »

Kent Briggs wrote:
social wrote:I'm using a VPS at 1and1.com....
Sounds like you are logging out your Windows session instead of just disconnecting from RDC. If you do that, it closes down all running applications that were started in that session. Either that, or your VPS is being rebooted and PM doesn't restart until you are logging in again. That happens occasionally with my demo site at 1and1.com. I suspect it's because of Windows updating itself. But I just checked and my site has been online for the past 22 days since I patched up to version 2.80.
If I were logging out of my windows session then the game would not be working when I check it later.
It works for a couple of days, then I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message...

So, why would the VPS be being rebooted "occasionally"?
I asked 1and1.com support if windows was updating itself on their server, and they told me *No* - that their staff handles all updates.
I don't really trust their support answers though...they definitely do not go the extra mile - told me the server is unmanaged and it is up to me to figure how to troubleshoot.

I really wish you would provide a version that works on Linux servers.

Any chance of that ever?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

social wrote: So, why would the VPS be being rebooted "occasionally"?
I asked 1and1.com support if windows was updating itself on their server, and they told me *No* - that their staff handles all updates.
Log in with RDC and get a command prompt with Start|Run|cmd. Then type in "net statistics server" and see what the last boot date shows in the first line returned. Mine shows "Statistics since 1/28/2010 8:26 AM".
I really wish you would provide a version that works on Linux servers.
Any chance of that ever?
Not any time soon. There's no Linux version of Delphi.