How Scalable?

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
AliuM

How Scalable?

Post by AliuM »

I just wanted to ask...

How scalable is the software, for example: roughly speaking,
on the most default VPS available on the net (ex: 1on1 with 512MB RAM) ?

How many players can play without a problem?

Thank You.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: How Scalable?

Post by Kent Briggs »

AliuM wrote: How scalable is the software, for example: roughly speaking,
on the most default VPS available on the net (ex: 1on1 with 512MB RAM) ?
How many players can play without a problem?
With a fast system with enough RAM and lots of bandwidth, you should be able to get several hundred concurrent users. It's currently only designed to run on a single server so it's not particularly scalable from there unless you purchased multiple licenses and spread the load across multiple servers, using the API to shift player accounts around. Better scalability will be a goal in the next major version.
Krustbox

Post by Krustbox »

I had a question on this subject. I have an old machine I've been using for a server and plan to use for poker mavens. It's 1.25g MHZ and 900-something ram. I know that's garbage as a computer, but as a server with CPU priority high on poker mavens would this be enough to get the several hundred players you're talking about? If not i need to know so i can make some upgrades :lol: Trying to be better safe than sorry. Also my connection is 20MB down and 5MB upload. thanks.

Also i plan to purchase two licenses to start out this next weekend. Can i run two different poker mavens on the same server? They are each doing their own duty, but i want to make sure that running two of them isn't on one machine isn't a problem if i put each one on its own ports. I just assume that they then have to share the possible "several hundred" players that the server can manage? Or do i need to run each one on it's own machine? thanks
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Krustbox wrote:I had a question on this subject. I have an old machine I've been using for a server and plan to use for poker mavens. It's 1.25g MHZ and 900-something ram. I know that's garbage as a computer, but as a server with CPU priority high on poker mavens would this be enough to get the several hundred players you're talking about? If not i need to know so i can make some upgrades :lol: Trying to be better safe than sorry. Also my connection is 20MB down and 5MB upload. thanks.
Your uplink speed will likely be your biggest bottleneck. You would need a on a wide pipe (i.e., 100 mbps) to get that many logins. Typically only available on a hosted VPS or dedicated server account, not a residential ISP account.
Also i plan to purchase two licenses to start out this next weekend. Can i run two different poker mavens on the same server?
They would have to be on separate Windows logins so they would have separate registry keys and data files and couldn't detect another copy was running.
Krustbox

Post by Krustbox »

Krustbox wrote:Your uplink speed will likely be your biggest bottleneck. You would need a on a wide pipe (i.e., 100 mbps) to get that many logins. Typically only available on a hosted VPS or dedicated server account, not a residential ISP account.
Ah bummer. So if i go out and buy a virtual dedicated server with a "1TB Network Transfer" then we're in business? :D
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Krustbox wrote:Ah bummer. So if i go out and buy a virtual dedicated server with a "1TB Network Transfer" then we're in business? :D
The three items that affect the site performance the most are bandwidth, cpu speed, and ram. Although anything above 2 GB ram won't help because the server is a 32-bit app.
pzero

Post by pzero »

Krustbox wrote:I had a question on this subject. I have an old machine I've been using for a server and plan to use for poker mavens. It's 1.25g MHZ and 900-something ram. I know that's garbage as a computer, but as a server with CPU priority high on poker mavens would this be enough to get the several hundred players you're talking about? If not i need to know so i can make some upgrades :lol: Trying to be better safe than sorry. Also my connection is 20MB down and 5MB upload. thanks.
Kent, is there a guideline on how much upload per connected user is required?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

pzero wrote:Kent, is there a guideline on how much upload per connected user is required?
It depends on several factors that are hard to simulate (since I'm not running a busy site myself) and very likely isn't a straight line anyway. You would certainly need a backbone type connection (100+ mbit/sec) connection to get into the hundreds of players. I'd be surprised if you could get more than a couple dozen players on a residential cable type connection, especially since the uplink speed is usually much slower than the downlink speed.