SSL Setup

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
The Scorpion

SSL Setup

Post by The Scorpion »

I need help setting up my ssl. I have the certificate just not sure what info to put where. I see the spots on the program just not sure what keys to put where please help thank you
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: SSL Setup

Post by Kent Briggs »

There should be a private key file that was used to create the signing request file that was given to the certificate authority. If you examine the key file with a text editor like NotePad it will show "-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----" on the first line. Then the certificate authority should have returned a cert file for your domain and another "root" cert file that belongs to the certificate authority itself. Both of those will show "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----" in their first lines. Put these 3 files somewhere on your server and use the settings in Poker Mavens to show where they are.
The Scorpion

Post by The Scorpion »

Ok so i have found the private key and csr codes to enter but not the root. Also does this program need to be hosted? As you said to put im guessing the files somewhere in my server. Thank you for your help. I just want it to not be NOT SECURE anymore as thats blocking some of the people trying to get on it seems thank you
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

The Scorpion wrote:Ok so i have found the private key and csr codes to enter but not the root.
The certificate authority will usually post their root certificate somewhere on their own website. It's a public file that anyone can download.
Also does this program need to be hosted? As you said to put im guessing the files somewhere in my server.
Wherever Poker Mavens is installed is your server (which could just be a home PC or laptop).
The Scorpion

Post by The Scorpion »

Hmm ok well im going to where the files downloaded and put the path into the SSL sections in poker mavens but nothing. Maybe im putting the wrong files in each section its not really labeled in the folder which is which. So im struggling to figure this out. This is the last thing i need to make this work the way i want so what am i missing please help this dummy.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Rename your files so they are meaningful to you. MyDomain.key for the key file, MyDomain.crt for the cert, MyDomainRoot.crt for the root cert, etc. I would suggest putting these in the Poker Mavens program folder so you won't forget where they are. Then turn on these settings:

Server Settings ->

SSL encryption = Yes
SSL key file = (points to your key file)
SSL password = (normally blank unless your key file is encrypted)
SSL cert file = (points to your cert file)
SSL root cert file (points to your root cert file)

Typically you will change your File Port value from 80 to 443 because 443 is the default port for HTTPS connections. You will also need to add that port in your port forwarding if you have a router. If you want port 80 to work also (so that http and https both work), download and run the redirect utility:

http://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/U ... m#redirect
The Scorpion

Post by The Scorpion »

I understand what your saying but I cant seem to find what I need to find. In the download of the zip file that came from go daddy where i got the certificate from when you click each file it says open. I then open it and it gives details but thats it. Ive tried to put in poker mavens the location on my computer those three certificate files are and it says "could not load ssl library. So im not sure what im doing wrong.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

The Scorpion wrote:could not load ssl library
You just need to the two OpenSSL DLL files. See item 17 in the FAQ for the link:

http://www.briggsoft.com/pmfaq.htm#q17

Get the 64-bit version if you are running the 64-bit version of Poker Mavens. Unzip the two files and put them in the program folder where PMServer.exe is stored.