SSL Encryption and Dynamic DNS

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
naked_eskimo

SSL Encryption and Dynamic DNS

Post by naked_eskimo »

I was wondering if anyone has setup ssl encryption with dynamic dns? I have a domain name, but I am unable to get a static ip address from my ISP for my home Internet. I do have a dynamic dns service that has worked fine for years when accessing my home network remotely.

The FAQ mentions that a static ip "should" be used, but I am curious if others have any experience they could share with using ssl and a dynamic dns service?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: SSL Encryption and Dynamic DNS

Post by Kent Briggs »

An SSL cert is tied to your domain name. It doesn't care about your IP address. Having a static IP is convenient so you don't have to keep updating your domain name DNS record. But if you are using a service to automate that, then it should work.
naked_eskimo

Post by naked_eskimo »

Thank you for the response.
naked_eskimo

Post by naked_eskimo »

I was hoping that I could impose on you briefly with a question about setting up ssl. I ordered and received my cert from K software. I have my cert as a text blob and the bundle file now. I pointed Poker Mavens to the two files that came with my confirmation: the ca-bundle and the mycert.crt file. I also put the ssl ddl's in my folder with the pmavens.exe

But when I try to start my server, it says could not load ssl library.

Any suggestions?
naked_eskimo

Post by naked_eskimo »

My bad. I was using the 64 bit dll files with the Pro version. I didn't notice that 64 bit is only for the Gold version.