Cannot Access Router

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
fogcitynative

Cannot Access Router

Post by fogcitynative »

I used belong to a live poker group. Then I retired to Colombia and had to leave the group. With Coronavirus Lockdown the only way to play is online. And the other guys might consider it where before lockdown they wouldn't.

I use a Mac but I do have Windows 10 in VMware. I assume I could host the server in VMware and play on Mac using Firefox or similar. Not sure if the asynchronous Internet connection if fast enough. I have 20 Mbps down but only 2.5 Mbps up. But I live in a group house and only the landlord has access to the router. I am not going to be able to port forward the router. No way he will trust anyone with the password.

So, it would seem it might be worth it to find a server off site to host the server software and provide a generic style URL I don't need my own registered domain. Of course, I'm not interested in paying by the month as if I'm hosting a high traffic website. Only want to host Poker Mavens and only for a private game with my friends once a month. So free or $20 a year kind of thing.

My questions

1) Recommendations for a free or cheap Server Site that can meet my needs. I see no way around the router access issue.
2) Rather than just having text based chat at the table, how can we see and hear each other in live video conferencing while also playing the game in its own window. Recommendations for conference software for up to 7 or 8 players. Again Free or cheap.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Cannot Access Router

Post by Kent Briggs »

You won't a find a free Windows hosting service because they have to to pay Microsoft a license fee. But you can get one for about $15 a month from Atlantic. See items 1 and 2 in the FAQ:

http://www.briggsoft.com/pmfaq.htm

Use Skype for a internet-based conference call with your friends. It's free.