Program help

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
snir

Program help

Post by snir »

Peace...
I have the gold version and I need a software startup guide ...
Problem running the game online.
\ Can access the site from the computer that has the software installed, but from another computer can not access the site
Would appreciate help !
Thanks !
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Program help

Post by Kent Briggs »

Click the F1 button while in the program to display the help file and then read the "Getting Started" section. If you installed it at home behind a router, it's the router that is blocking the incoming connections. You'll need to go into the router's port forwarding section and open up the file port and packet port that you have set in Poker Mavens. Contact me via email with your router's make and model number if you need more help. If you installed the program on a Windows hosting service (where no routers are involved) then all you probably need to do is add PMServer.exe to the Window Firewall "Allow" list.
snir

Post by snir »

I don't understand the field so much, I'd love if you tell me more or if there is some way to run the software

Thank you very much for your help!!!
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

snir wrote:I don't understand the field so much, I'd love if you tell me more or if there is some way to run the software
I'm not sure which field you are referring to but if you have a router in your network, it will by default act as a hardware firewall and block all incoming connections. The solution is to go into your router's setup (which is done with your browser) and open the two ports that Poker Mavens uses. There are guides available for just about every router made at http://www.portforward.com.

The other option is to rent a Windows server from a hosting service and install the software there. The downside is that you'll have to pay them a monthly fee. Those typically start at around $15 a month and go up from there depending on the server specs. The upside is that there are no routers to mess with, your system is online 24/7, you have high speed bandwidth in both directions, you get a static IP address for which you can assign a domain name to, you don't have to worry about an ISP that frowns upon you running a server on a residential account, and your personal data is not at risk if someone tries to hack your server. More info in items 1 and 2 of the FAQ: http://www.briggsoft.com/pmfaq.htm