Server freezing on shutdown attempt

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Server freezing on shutdown attempt

Post by Kent Briggs »

If you've been experiencing random lockups when clicking the Stop button to take your poker server offline, the reason is due to a buggy Windows update released in July. On my Windows 7 machine, rebooting was the only way to get out of it. Microsoft has since released a fix but I had to manually apply it on my local machine. Instructions for that are here:

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/07/17/micro ... nd-server/
xpinkerin

Re: Server freezing on shutdown attempt

Post by xpinkerin »

Hey Kent,

I have applied all of the updates, including KB4344524, which was manual... still not able to shut down mavens in order to change a table graphic. It is not random, everything else is working, just can't stop PM... When I click on the PM server, it states that mavens is already running. When I click OK, it shuts the dialog box so I can go no further. I am at a loss as to what to do... anybody out there with the same problem????

Erin
xpinkerin

Post by xpinkerin »

So sorry.... forgot to mention that I have PM running on a 2012 R2 server, if that makes a difference. I have run the Windows updates recommended for my server.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

xpinkerin wrote:When I click on the PM server, it states that mavens is already running.
Try this: right-click the Windows status bar and launch the Windows Task Manager. On the Processes tab look for PMServer.exe (or Poker Server) in the list. Select it and click the End Task (or End Process) button.
xpinkerin

Post by xpinkerin »

Thank you Kent... that has worked so far. We shall see if I can still shut down the PM server when I need to put in our Labor Day game graphic. Thank you sooooo much for being here for us all!!

Erin