Capacity - How many players in single tournament?

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
BizProMedia

Capacity - How many players in single tournament?

Post by BizProMedia »

Please tell me the number of players that can play a single tournament. I know there are other variables but please help me think this through.

Any guidance or sharing of experience will be much appreciated.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Capacity - How many players in single tournament?

Post by Kent Briggs »

The software supports up to 1000 players per tournament but your server will not likely support more than 400 to 500 players max at any given time.
BizProMedia

Post by BizProMedia »

Ok thank you!

What kind of resources does my server need to have to support 400 players in one tournament? Is it a RAM issue or something else? (It would be the only thing running on the server at that time.)
BizProMedia

Post by BizProMedia »

On speedtest.net I got 3ms ping, 351mbps down, and 95mbps up.

We have minimal RAM right now but that is easy (even if not cheap) to increase.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

BizProMedia wrote:What kind of resources does my server need to have to support 400 players in one tournament? Is it a RAM issue or something else? (It would be the only thing running on the server at that time.)
CPU speed/cores, internet bandwidth, and RAM are the main factors. The more, the better.
BizProMedia

Post by BizProMedia »

Windows Server 2012 R2, 64-bit OS x64-based processor
QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+ 2.10 GHz
ftpjesus

Post by ftpjesus »

To me its definitely a CPU and memory issue.. OVH has some decent dedicated gaming servers and even some servers with higher CPU and RAM options (up to 768GB in fact).. Im looking at larger end so I can run my internal prop bots on the server while the holdem bots don't use a lot of CPU capacity the O8 and Stud bots use more complicated logic thus they use more memory drain.. Keep in mind the more you need the more the overhead is going to cost you to run.. I also understand one poster on here has a way to link multiple smaller servers with Joomia (its on a forum thread here somewhere) to balance out the load supposedly..
Owner Operator of (TBA)
http://www.( TBA ) .com (Home Page)
http://www. (TBA) .net (Play Money)
http://www. (TBA) .eu (BTC Token tied currency and Stable Coins through Crypto quasi real money play)
BizProMedia

Post by BizProMedia »

We have a free bar poker league with regions from NJ to NC to TX. We have one regular online game on Wednesday night in one region that doesn't have a live venue that night (with results automatically loaded into our standings, which is cool.) And we have a Saturday group ( < 15 )that plays for fun. Other than that, we just plan to use it for special events, which could be between 80 and 250 players.

That is the dilemma for us, we really just need (or think we need) more cpu and more ram on 10 or 12 days of the year, which we know in advance.

The ability to run these on our server is difficult to test. Don't want it to crash when there is a meaningful prize on the line, but with nothing meaningful to play for, it is difficult to get enough players on for the test.

I don't want to pay for the horsepower all year long but I also don't want to have to set up a new server every time we need it. (With my host, can upgrade resources but can't downgrade.)