Dynamic IPs

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
Darkrevenger

Dynamic IPs

Post by Darkrevenger »

My ISP uses a system that works by having their customers connect through a transparent proxy server which allocates a new IP every .10 seconds or so. When I tried to host a poker mavens server, I was unable to connect to it through the IP automatically generated by lookup. Is there any method I could use to host a server?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic IPs

Post by Kent Briggs »

Darkrevenger wrote:My ISP uses a system that works by having their customers connect through a transparent proxy server which allocates a new IP every .10 seconds or so. When I tried to host a poker mavens server, I was unable to connect to it through the IP automatically generated by lookup. Is there any method I could use to host a server?
How often is your particular internet IP changIng? Are you behind a router? If so, did you make the required port forward settings?
Darkrevenger

Post by Darkrevenger »

I am behind a router - I forwarded the ports required, but I still can't connect

It changes faster than I can track it.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Darkrevenger wrote:It changes faster than I can track it.
I don't understand how you can even surf the web if the IP constantly changes. How does the server on the other end route packets back to you? You certainly couldn't host your own server under those conditions.
Darkrevenger

Post by Darkrevenger »

Kent Briggs wrote:
Darkrevenger wrote:It changes faster than I can track it.
I don't understand how you can even surf the web if the IP constantly changes. How does the server on the other end route packets back to you? You certainly couldn't host your own server under those conditions.
From what I've heard, the ISP has a pool of IPs, and when you make a connection request to anywhere it randomly assigns you an IP from that pool, which is then withdrawn back into the pool once the connection request is completed.

I did a test, I refreshed http://www.whatismyip.com/ constantly. Each time I refreshed I had a different IP address come up.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Darkrevenger wrote:I did a test, I refreshed http://www.whatismyip.com/ constantly. Each time I refreshed I had a different IP address come up.
Do they have an alternative plan with a static IP option or at least one that will hold for the day? If not, you'd have to get a VPS from an external host and put the game server there.
Darkrevenger

Post by Darkrevenger »

Kent Briggs wrote:
Darkrevenger wrote:I did a test, I refreshed http://www.whatismyip.com/ constantly. Each time I refreshed I had a different IP address come up.
Do they have an alternative plan with a static IP option or at least one that will hold for the day? If not, you'd have to get a VPS from an external host and put the game server there.
I don't think they have a static IP plan for domestic users. Too bad then, I guess.
lildamien09

Post by lildamien09 »

Not to revive and old topic but if anyone else has this problem your best solution would be to register a free account at dyndns.com.. make a free domain or purchase one(your choice).. Then download there program which will connect to your account and update your ip address everytime it changes which in return will keep your domain active for your server.. no port configuring required on the domain end. just make sure your firewall has an exception for the ports you are going to use and that your virual servers/firewall config on your router/network has the exceptions also.

If anyone has this problem again and you would like help, please contact me @ [email protected].
tipex65

Post by tipex65 »

Hello everyone!
I have read everything written about this issue at the forum
I did everything as advised,
all ports are open,
forwarding to local ip,
but from internet still nobody can connect to my external IP address.
found Dyndns ip updater, it does not help
only can go to the local ip adress.
I don`t know what to do.
help me!
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

tipex65 wrote: all ports are open,
forwarding to local ip,
but from internet still nobody can connect to my external IP address.
Try this utility that checks to see if your ports are really open:

http://www.portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm