Page 1 of 1

Dealing with crash logs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:31 am
by social
Below, is screenshots showing sequence of events after my site crashed.
I do not know how to find out why the crash occurred, or what I should do about it.
After I restarted PM, the references to the crash logs disappeared.
Could I get some guidance about how to understand all of this,
and whether there is anything I can do next, please?

Crash Recovery Notification

http://prntscr.com/au8alf

Logs before restart:
http://prntscr.com/au8c6z

Logs after restart:
http://prntscr.com/au8e4u

Re: Dealing with crash logs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:58 am
by Kent Briggs
You are running an ancient (version 2.83) copy of the software. At the very least you can patch that to 2.96 for free at http://www.briggsoft.com/patches.htm

Anyway, before every hand, each table records the chip stacks in a "crash file". Those are normally deleted when the table is taken offline in a normal fashion. If the software finds any of those files at startup it means there was a crash and so it credits those chips back to the players (recording that in the event log) and then deletes the file. In newer versions, it will show the table names in the event log.

Re: Dealing with crash logs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:32 pm
by social
Kent Briggs wrote:You are running an ancient (version 2.83) copy of the software. At the very least you can patch that to 2.96 for free at http://www.briggsoft.com/patches.htm

Anyway, before every hand, each table records the chip stacks in a "crash file". Those are normally deleted when the table is taken offline in a normal fashion. If the software finds any of those files at startup it means there was a crash and so it credits those chips back to the players (recording that in the event log) and then deletes the file. In newer versions, it will show the table names in the event log.


OK, thanks, but I was hoping there was some way to find out why there was a crash...
whether it was due to Poker Mavens or the Server.

Re: Dealing with crash logs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:31 pm
by Kent Briggs
social wrote:OK, thanks, but I was hoping there was some way to find out why there was a crash...
whether it was due to Poker Mavens or the Server.


The Error Log should have that, unless there was some kind of seize-up that didn't fire off any exceptions. Make sure Windows Update is set for manual mode so that your server isn't rebooting after automatic updates.

Re: Dealing with crash logs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:49 pm
by social
Kent Briggs wrote:
social wrote:OK, thanks, but I was hoping there was some way to find out why there was a crash...
whether it was due to Poker Mavens or the Server.


The Error Log should have that, unless there was some kind of seize-up that didn't fire off any exceptions. Make sure Windows Update is set for manual mode so that your server isn't rebooting after automatic updates.


That's why I showed the screenshot of the Logs...
I don't see where I would find that information.
Are they supposed to be clickable, or what am I missing here?

And, yes, the server is set to not allow automatic updates, yet my site crashes every few weeks.

Logs before restart:
http://prntscr.com/au8c6z

Logs after restart:
http://prntscr.com/au8e4u

Re: Dealing with crash logs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:54 pm
by Kent Briggs
The logs you see there in the console just show events that have occurred since you last started the app. To see what happened previously, go to your Poker Mavens data folder and look in the "Logs" subfolder for Event and Error log files. These are in plain text format, one per day.

Re: Dealing with crash logs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:23 pm
by social
Kent Briggs wrote:The logs you see there in the console just show events that have occurred since you last started the app. To see what happened previously, go to your Poker Mavens data folder and look in the "Logs" subfolder for Event and Error log files. These are in plain text format, one per day.


OK, thanks for that info.

There have been two error logs in the past week, each says the same thing:
"2016-04-17 18:10:21|SendRawMessage error: Socket Error # 10054
Connection reset by peer."

Do you have any idea what that means?

Re: Dealing with crash logs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:19 pm
by Kent Briggs
social wrote:"2016-04-17 18:10:21|SendRawMessage error: Socket Error # 10054
Connection reset by peer."

Do you have any idea what that means?


That likely just means the player's connection dropped right as the server attempted to send them a packet.