new site

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: new site

Post by Kent Briggs »

electrolytik wrote:can i use either one/ I just keep getting error on remote desktop saying server is not on or not allowing
You can use whatever you want if it allows you to run a Windows application and see the GUI. You should ask your server provider for RDC login instructions.
electrolytik

Post by electrolytik »

ok i'll call them and see if i can get it worked out for rdc, what whould i do after i get logged in, is it complicated? and can you talk me through it sorry never done this before
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

electrolytik wrote:ok i'll call them and see if i can get it worked out for rdc, what whould i do after i get logged in, is it complicated? and can you talk me through it sorry never done this before
There's a setting in RDC under Options to share your local drives when connected to the remote server. When you enable that, you can run Windows Explorer on the server and it will show the drives from both systems. So you can copy/paste files between the two. Then install Poker Mavens just like did locally. There's no router to mess with on a remote server but you will need to add PMServer.exe to the Windows Firewall exception list.
electrolytik

Post by electrolytik »

great, tnx
electrolytik

Post by electrolytik »

hey i switched to a vps server now and am able to get in and installed the software through remote desktop! But now am confused on what happened to my website. Maybe you can help me, so there is no control panel that shows like public html folders where i would put my html for my website. I had a website hosted there and they told me to cancel the hosting so i did and changed to vps server but now i have no website and nowhere i could put the html files to make another website hosted on this server. The guy is telling me i could use plesk which they dont have yet for windows server and i would have to get it from parallels, they do have control panel for their linux servers
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Windows servers come with IIS, Microsoft's web server and the root is located under C:\inetpub\wwwroot\. But you could also install the Windows version of Apache or another web server if you wanted to.
electrolytik

Post by electrolytik »

this is tough, can i just drop my html files in that root folder or have to modify iis server and start it, right now whaen i go to my homepage it just says godaddy domains site coming or whatever
electrolytik

Post by electrolytik »

I found this video i guess i have to do this to put up my website on this server? And then worry about how to link it into the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQkjtTEa6M4
electrolytik

Post by electrolytik »

cool, i got my website to load up through iis and it comes up when i use the servers ip but it still goes to godaddys homepage saying setup domain when i try to get in through the actual name of the website www.
electrolytik

Post by electrolytik »

lol sry for all the posts but just talked to my host again for the 5th time today and got thinking about about the dns which is still the old one so he changed it for me, should be good to go in a couple hours he said weeeeeeeeeeeee
I'll be back tommorow asking more :D Tnx for the iis