Email Socket Error

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
theedgepoker

Email Socket Error

Post by theedgepoker »

Hello,
I am having some problems with getting the email to work properly. I have entered the correct settings for my smtp server, and when users request an account recovery it works fine and the emails go out. The problem is if I try and send an email through the maven control program, or when I try and enable email verification for new users, I am getting a socket error.

I am running windows server 2008 on a burstnet vps. I have installed openssl. I dont understand why account recovery would work but not the other options.

Thanks for any help!
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Email Socket Error

Post by Kent Briggs »

theedgepoker wrote:Hello,
I am having some problems with getting the email to work properly. I have entered the correct settings for my smtp server, and when users request an account recovery it works fine and the emails go out. The problem is if I try and send an email through the maven control program, or when I try and enable email verification for new users, I am getting a socket error.

I am running windows server 2008 on a burstnet vps. I have installed openssl. I dont understand why account recovery would work but not the other options.

Thanks for any help!
Not sure why it would work for one function but not the others. By "control panel", are you referring to the Buddy List feature? Are you using Gmail for the smtp server or something else? Where did you get the OpenSSL files from?
theedgepoker

Post by theedgepoker »

Ok so I googled the socket error some suggestions were to change the mail server address to the actual ip of the server instead of smtp.myserver.com. I did this, and now I no longer get the error when using buddy list to send an email. It tells me email sent successfully, however the emails do not go out. No error messages in the log.

When I use the account recovery option, the email comes through as soon as i request the code. No problems. When i enable the verify email address option in the main settings, the emails will not go out for some reason. I am fiddling with it now hoping to get it working, it just does not make sense to me that the account recovery emails are coming through perfectly and the buddy list email will not work at all.

I downloaded and installed openssl from openssl.org. I am not using gmail, I am using mail servers provided by fatcow. Smtp.fatcow,com port 465 SSL. Again, I have the ip in the server settings now which took care of the socket error, however the emails for certain features work and some do not.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

theedgepoker wrote:I downloaded and installed openssl from openssl.org.
This may be the problem. Not all OpenSSL versions are compatible with the Indy Socket components used in the server. You should use the one I have linked in FAQ item #5:

http://www.briggsoft.com/pmfaq.htm

Download those and put the two DLLs in the same folder as PMServer.exe. You may need to restart the program for those to be seen.
theedgepoker

Post by theedgepoker »

Kent,
I did what you suggested and downloaded the 2 .dll files from your post in the faq and placed them in the folder with pmserver.exe.
I am now getting an error that msvcr71.dll is not found. Then an error about not being able to load the ssl library.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

theedgepoker wrote:Kent,
I did what you suggested and downloaded the 2 .dll files from your post in the faq and placed them in the folder with pmserver.exe.
I am now getting an error that msvcr71.dll is not found. Then an error about not being able to load the ssl library.
That DLL should already be in your C:\Windows\System32\ folder. If you google that file name, you'll should find download sites that have it (beware of malware sites).

If you disable the "Secure connection" option so that SSL isn't used, do your email functions work without it?
theedgepoker

Post by theedgepoker »

When I do not use SSL, the email works. I am just going to leave it that way. Thanks for the assistance.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

FYI, I've updated my OpenDLL files to a version that shouldn't require that msvcr71.dll file:

http://www.briggsoft.com/download/OpenSSL.zip

Just unzip the libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll file and put them in the program folder that contains PMServer.exe