Router Work Around?

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
ECPS-Champion

Router Work Around?

Post by ECPS-Champion »

In order for people to be able to access your client does the Internet IP and the local IP always have to match? If so, what do you do if you access the internet through a router? How could someone workaround this issue? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Router Work Around?

Post by Kent Briggs »

ECPS-Champion wrote:In order for people to be able to access your client does the Internet IP and the local IP always have to match? If so, what do you do if you access the internet through a router? How could someone workaround this issue? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
The Internet IP will match the Local IP when you have a direct connection to the internet, like from a hosting service with a VPS or dedicated server plan. Or from a residential setup with a cable modem but no router. If there is a router in between you and the internet, it will typically give your PC a Local IP address in the range of 192.168.x.x. The outside world cannot connect directly to a LAN IP. Routers will block all incoming connection attempts by default so you have to open up the two ports that Poker Mavens uses (8087 and 8088 are the defaults) and direct them to the particular PC running the poker server. You do that in the router's setup screen in the port forwarding section. Also note that DSL modems usually have built in routers so the same applies to them. Use the web site http://www.portforward.com to find port forwarding instructions for your particular router model.
ECPS-Champion

Post by ECPS-Champion »

Read this after that last email I sent you. All corresponding ports have been opened and forwarded to the ip of machine client is on. Still cant access it. What other issues could be causing it?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

ECPS-Champion wrote:Read this after that last email I sent you. All corresponding ports have been opened and forwarded to the ip of machine client is on. Still cant access it. What other issues could be causing it?
How exactly have they been opened? Tell me exactly what was done.
ECPS-Champion

Post by ECPS-Champion »

IT guy port forwarded the ports for TCP. does he need to do udp also?
ECPS-Champion

Post by ECPS-Champion »

i also tried it at my residence and i forwarded both and i couldnt get it to work there either. Has to be something we are missing.
ECPS-Champion

Post by ECPS-Champion »

IT guy tried it at his residence now and got it working. Think we must have been using a lousy firewall at the location we were trying to use it.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

ECPS-Champion wrote:IT guy port forwarded the ports for TCP. does he need to do udp also?
No, it's TCP only. Double check that the two ports forwarded match the File Port and Packet Port settings in Poker Mavens, and that the IP matches the Local IP address setting in Poker Mavens. And make sure that IP hasn't changed. Take the server offline and double-click the setting to see. Or click the Windows Start button, select Run and type in CMD to get a command prompt. Then type in IPCONFIG and see what it shows for the IPv4 Address.

If all that matches and it's still not working, download and run the PFPortCheck program from this page:

http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

Make sure Poker Mavens is not running. Check TCP 8087 and 8088 and see if it shows them to be open.