Need ability to hold 300 players. Recommended specs?

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
facebook240

Need ability to hold 300 players. Recommended specs?

Post by facebook240 »

Hi, Kent.

I'm getting everything in order etc, for me to purchase poker mavens. I know you are familiar with Grrrinders, and from what i've been told, there are stability issues when you reach over about 250 players.

Basically, when I get the server up, I'll have around 150-200 players online. And expect to grow exponentially. The lagg that was caused by the amount of traffic, was that a bug? and if it was, is it fixed?

Anyways, what would you say the recommended specs to have a full blown network consist of?

Poker mavens is 32 bit, which means it can only allocate 4GB of ram. So spending a fortune to have more than 4GB is useless.

What can potentially hold 300+ players?

Thanks for the quick responses! :)
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Need ability to hold 300 players. Recommended specs?

Post by Kent Briggs »

facebook240 wrote:The lagg that was caused by the amount of traffic, was that a bug? and if it was, is it fixed?
Lag is caused by the inability of the hardware and/or internet bandwidth to handle that much traffic. A lot of sites will advertise 100 Mbps because that is what the network cards are rated for but if you actually measure it, it may be a lot less, especially when it is being shared by other clients on that hosting service. Splitting your site into multiple "rooms" by purchasing multiple licenses and running them on separate servers is the only real way to scale once you've maxed out the capacity of a single server. Then you would create a central login web site and direct players to available servers to spread the load around.