Some questions...

For discussion of the Poker Mavens server module and other administration topics
Holydance

Some questions...

Post by Holydance »

Hi there,

I got some simple questions and some of them may seem noobish. so please hang in there.

1- first of all, let's say i've baught a domain like http://www.myname.com. In order to run the server, i just need to put that domain in the "Internet IP Address" section of the server settings, and then people can connect to it? or is there something more to do in order to load the server on my domain?
( sorry if it sounds silly but i don't know )

2- Do i need to buy a host service? because i'm running the server on my PC @home, so host ain't needed?

3- Can anyone from the outside world, identify what specific IP is running the game server? I mean, can anyone, trace where the game server is running?
(this question is because gambling is forbidden in my country so i need to make it secure )

4- Where i live, the internet connection is very slow, so my question would be, can a ~20kbps upload speed support like 10-20 people?

Thanks in advance.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Some questions...

Post by Kent Briggs »

If you buy a domain from a registrar like GoDaddy, you have to point it to a static IP address in their records by going into the advanced DNS settings and entering your IP in the "A" record. If you don't have a static IP then you'll need to get your domain from one of those dynamic DNS services. They give you a program that runs on your computer and it detects when your ISP changed your internet IP. That program notifies the DNS service so that it can route connections to your domain name back to your computer.

The advantage of a hosting service is that there will be a fast internet connection, no router settings to mess with, a static IP, and it runs 24/7. Your 20 kbps home system will be painfully slow, especially for first time users who download the Flash client on their first connection.

Anyone connecting to your site will know your IP. They have to know it, it's how they connect.
Holydance

Post by Holydance »

One more question about the Ordering Process.

I have a pre-paid non-reloadabale Visa card, which is not registered to any billing address.

In the order section of ur site i've seen u have that billing address . so my question would be,

is it really needed that i must go and register that Non-reloadable visa card?
( I don't live in USA, so my address would make no sense)

Or can i save the time, and just leave that billing address section, empty?
( and be sure that there is not going to be any problem )
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Holydance wrote: is it really needed that i must go and register that Non-reloadable visa card?
Just use your actual name and mailing address on the order form. The software is individually licensed (not sold) so I do not allow anonymous buyers.