Slow Server Performance

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
PokerFreak

Slow Server Performance

Post by PokerFreak »

Hello, My 1GB RAM Windows 2008 VPS is quite slow when logged players reach ~160-180. And I'm thinking to move a new more powerful server as I'm getting alot of new accounts every day.

Will this VPS hold 500-750 players at the same time ?
CPU: 2.0 Ghz, 2 Cores
RAM: 4 GB
Uplink Port Speed: 1 x 1000Mbps Full-Duplex

Or Will I need a 4 core and 8 GB VPS to hold this amount of players ?

Thank You.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Slow Server Performance

Post by Kent Briggs »

PokerFreak wrote: Or Will I need a 4 core and 8 GB VPS to hold this amount of players ?
Thank You.
Poker Mavens is a 32-bit application so it can't use more than 2 GB of RAM. Internet bandwidth is the most important parameter but you are unlikely to support more than a few hundred players logged in at any given time. The host providers often cite an internet speed based on the what the hardware is capable of handling but isn't necessarily what you are actually getting when you test it with tools like speedtest.net, etc.
PokerFreak

Post by PokerFreak »

Kent Briggs wrote:Internet bandwidth is the most important parameter but you are unlikely to support more than a few hundred players logged in at any given time.
What if I got a dedicated server with a dedicated 100 Mbps connection speed. Will this solve the problem ?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

PokerFreak wrote: What if I got a dedicated server with a dedicated 100 Mbps connection speed. Will this solve the problem ?
Faster is always better. Note that just because a host advertises a 100 Mbps connection, it doesn't mean that will be your actual thoughput. To get more than a few hundred players online at any given time will probably require running multiple servers.