VPS Question

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
PokerFreak

VPS Question

Post by PokerFreak »

Hello,

I was thinking about managed windows services for virtual private servers. I have no experience in server administration but i can get my way around installing and updating the software.

Do I really need to buy managed services ? Is the software complicated and too complex to maintain or Is it a one-time installation system ?

And, Will a 512 MB RAM and 20 GB HDD VPS Hold a 100-300 players playing together ?
lucas

Re: VPS Question

Post by lucas »

In my experience, I must say that a server with these features will not be enough for many players. The most important is the bandwidth.
If you want I can help and advise. Send me a PM.
Greetings.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

PokerFreak wrote: Do I really need to buy managed services ? Is the software complicated and too complex to maintain or Is it a one-time installation system ?
All you really need to know is how to operate the Remote Desktop Connection program to connect your local PC to the VPS. And from there, it's just like running a local copy of Windows. You should install the trial version on your local PC first to learn how the program works.
And, Will a 512 MB RAM and 20 GB HDD VPS Hold a 100-300 players playing together ?
Probably not. 300 simultaneous logins would be at the high end of what a very fast system with lots of bandwidth could handle.
MissouriRiverPoker

Post by MissouriRiverPoker »

Kent,

The 1&1 VPS server you mention, I was wondering what a person could expect as far as performance & limitations from the $29/mo.

40 players once per week all in a single game?

Bandwidth still confeses me a bit. How much is used per player on average?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

~John~
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

MissouriRiverPoker wrote: The 1&1 VPS server you mention, I was wondering what a person could expect as far as performance & limitations from the $29/mo.
The last time I measured my 1and1 account with http://www.speedtest.net, it was only about 4 down/17 up Mbps, which is about what I get at home via Comcast cable, except the up/down numbers are reversed.
40 players once per week all in a single game?
Hard to say, I've never had that many on my demo site at once.
Bandwidth still confeses me a bit. How much is used per player on average?
Depends on how many other people are on at the same time, how many tables they have open, how many players are at the tables, how fast they are playing, etc. There's also a significant transfer of data on a player's first visit because they pull the Flash client and all the assorted graphics then. But on subsequent visits, their browser will use the copy they have cached locally.

If you right-click on the game surface in the player client and select Packet Viewer, you can get an idea of how many packets are going back and forth to/from that one player. Not including the TCP/IP overhead, packets can range from a few bytes to several hundred bytes in size. To get an actual load count on your server, you would need to install a packet sniffer program like WireShark.