Ring/Cash Game

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
Supersonics

Ring/Cash Game

Post by Supersonics »

So far I have only hosted tournaments, a lot of them! But I'm interested in adding a Ring Game to the mix. Sorry if this has been answered before, I searched and couldn't find the answer...

Is there a link to a comprehensive guide somewhere about running Ring Games successfully? I'm curious about everything really, do some people handle the currency as a 1:1 ratio? What is the lowest denomination that Poker Mavens uses, $1?

How are the player chip balances tracked for ring games so I can make sense of everything from the downloads and make sure everyone is squared up after?

Am I opening up a can of worms by offering this as an option to my league?

Any feedback that anyone can provide about their Ring/Cash game experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Supersonics
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Ring/Cash Game

Post by Kent Briggs »

Supersonics wrote:do some people handle the currency as a 1:1 ratio? What is the lowest denomination that Poker Mavens uses, $1?
When players buy into a ring table, the amount chosen is deducted from their account balance and put directly on the table. So yes it's always 1:1. Whenever they leave the table, their stack is added back to their account balance. Lowest denomination is 0.01 but that can be changed in the ring game settings via "Smallest chip" setting.
How are the player chip balances tracked for ring games so I can make sense of everything from the downloads and make sure everyone is squared up after?
That's all automatic but every account chip transaction, including rebuys, are recorded in the Event Log.
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

That's helpful, thanks Kent

Searching online, I found the standard recommendation for Cash Games is Min BuyIn 40xBB, Max BuyIn 100x BB

Examples:
1) SB $.05 / BB $.10 Min BuyIn $4, Max BuyIn $10
2) SB $.25 / BB $.50 Min BuyIn $20, Max BuyIn $50
3) SB $.50 / BB $1.00 Min BuyIn $40, Max BuyIn $100
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Supersonics wrote:Searching online, I found the standard recommendation for Cash Games is Min BuyIn 40xBB, Max BuyIn 100x BB
Yes, that's the most common setup for pot limit and no limit games.
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

Is there a download available for a Ring Game session that shows all of the Buy-Ins and Cash Outs for the session on a specific table?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Supersonics wrote:Is there a download available for a Ring Game session that shows all of the Buy-Ins and Cash Outs for the session on a specific table?
All account balance transactions are recorded in the daily event log. You can use the Filter feature in the Event Log Viewer utility to isolate a particular table:

http://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/Utilities.htm
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

Excellent, thanks Kent
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

Looking at the FAQ for the daily event log, I'm still a little confused.

Can someone provide more detail how to single out a specific table to capture all of the transactions for a ring game?

Thanks,
Supersonics
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Supersonics wrote:Can someone provide more detail how to single out a specific table to capture all of the transactions for a ring game?
Download and run the Event Log View utility from the link above. Load your event files from your data folder into the program. You can either do this directly if you are running this on the same machine or you can do it remotely via API calls. Click the "Set Filters" button and type the table name in the "Include strings" box to filter out everything not relate to that table. You can enter Start and End times to narrow down the time period.
Supersonics

Post by Supersonics »

After hosting 200+ tournaments, I have always wanted to utilize the Ring Game feature, my league has been chomping at the bit to get this going. I never opened it up because there was no way to receive automatic downloads of game sessions. Since I manage all of this on the back-end, which is a TON of work, I was never comfortable tracking this manually.

Well... I made a request to LB w/ https://mavenstools.com/ to create an automatic download of a Ring Game session. I'm excited to let everyone know that he was able to accomplish this! For the first time tonight, I am going to open up my Ring Game after hosting a Shootout Tournament. Talk about a Game Changer! No longer will I launch tourney after tourney and stagger them through the night to give players who were knocked out another option to play. We can now chill and play on the Ring Table and chat there about any impromptu tournaments that we may consider launching.

This Ring Table option will take a lot of pressure off of me and make my Wednesday and Saturday poker nights much smoother for everyone. Ring Game downloads are a Game Changer!

Supersonics