Rake Setup

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
DoubleEagle

Rake Setup

Post by DoubleEagle »

The rake setup is a little confusing.

1. Rake percent is obvious it seems. I have it set to 1(%)
2. However, the Rake Cap is confusing. The app says "Enter the maximum number of 'chips' that can be raked in a single hand. Set 0 for no cap limit." If my smallest chip is $.25, does this mean to set to 4 if I want to cap the rake at $1?

I initially set this to .50 thinking it was $.50 but that was not correct. Many times the rake was only $.25. And often, the rake was $0. There appears to be a threshold for a pot size minimum to incur a rake but I cannot find any documentation on it. What is the threshold for rake based on the size of the pot?

Thanks.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Rake Setup

Post by Kent Briggs »

DoubleEagle wrote:2. However, the Rake Cap is confusing. The app says "Enter the maximum number of 'chips' that can be raked in a single hand. Set 0 for no cap limit." If my smallest chip is $.25, does this mean to set to 4 if I want to cap the rake at $1?
No, you are way overthinking it. If you want a cap of 1.00 per pot then set it to 1.00. Leave Smallest Chip at 0.01 unless you have a good reason to go higher (such as using million dollar blinds then there's no need for pennies on the table).
DoubleEagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Kent Briggs wrote:
DoubleEagle wrote:2. However, the Rake Cap is confusing. The app says "Enter the maximum number of 'chips' that can be raked in a single hand. Set 0 for no cap limit." If my smallest chip is $.25, does this mean to set to 4 if I want to cap the rake at $1?
No, you are way overthinking it. If you want a cap of 1.00 per pot then set it to 1.00. Leave Smallest Chip at 0.01 unless you have a good reason to go higher (such as using million dollar blinds then there's no need for pennies on the table).
Still confused.

If I set the smallest chip size to $.01, wouldn't that result in posts with splits that are for odd amounts; e.g. $47.12? My thinking is, if I set my smallest chip size to $.25, the pots would be split in multiples of $.25. We have been playing mostly $.50/$1.00.

Also, you didn't address my question regarding what the threshold is for the rake to kick in.

Thank you.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

DoubleEagle wrote:If I set the smallest chip size to $.01, wouldn't that result in posts with splits that are for odd amounts; e.g. $47.12?
Yeah, but it's all digital. You're not physically handling pennies.
My thinking is, if I set my smallest chip size to $.25, the pots would be split in multiples of $.25. We have been playing mostly $.50/$1.00.
That minimum is very large in relation to the blinds, especially if you're raking pots. At a 1% rake each pot would have to hit 25.00 before any rake came out because anything less would be under your smallest chip value and thus truncated to 0.
Also, you didn't address my question regarding what the threshold is for the rake to kick in.
The threshold is your smallest chip size setting.