PokerMavens Tourney/Users limitation?

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
newpaypvt

PokerMavens Tourney/Users limitation?

Post by newpaypvt »

Hi Guys!

We are considering purchasing the latest pokermavens, we plan to operate as very big tournament operator with freeroles
Since it's freeroles we will have thousands of players coming in

Is there any limitation for amount of users that can be playing in 1 tournament?
Is there any amount of connections allowed?

We are new to this platform, would be great to get some info on it.

It looks like a good product, keep up the good work!

Thanks
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: PokerMavens Tourney/Users limitation?

Post by Kent Briggs »

Tournaments are currently limited to 100 tables each so that would be a maximum of 1000 players if you set your table size to 10 seats. However, you are highly unlikely to get that many players logged into a single server without it crashing from overload. You might be able to get half that.
newpaypvt

Post by newpaypvt »

Does it matter if i have a strong server?
If not, what other options we have to solve this situation?
Is it possible to run somehow multiple instances and make them connected as one?

Free-roles are usually high amount of players
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

newpaypvt wrote:Does it matter if i have a strong server?
It's more of a thread-switching issue. Poker Mavens is highly threaded and you'll eventually get to the point where Windows cannot keep up with the number of concurrent threads running, regardless of how fast your system is.
If not, what other options we have to solve this situation?
Currently the only option would be to run multiple sites (each requiring their own license) and divide your site into separate rooms, typically with a single front end web site. But you'll still be limited to a tournament capacity of several hundred. Expect to pay $10K to $50K to run software that can support many thousands of players at once.
newpaypvt

Post by newpaypvt »

So in theory if i buy 5 licenses there is a way to make them all work as a single server and then it will be 500players x 5 instances = 2500 players?
If it's correct let me know how it can be done, i have no issue purchase multiple licenses
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

newpaypvt wrote:So in theory if i buy 5 licenses there is a way to make them all work as a single server and then it will be 500players x 5 instances = 2500 players?
If it's correct let me know how it can be done, i have no issue purchase multiple licenses
It would still be 5 independent servers, each with their own player account database. They cannot communicate directly with each other. You would likely want to create your own front end web site with a central database of players. Then use the Poker Mavens API to setup their account on a particular server and direct them there for each login.
newpaypvt

Post by newpaypvt »

Are you planning to solve this issue with limiation? did you ever tested the exact amount of players that capable of joining the game server?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

newpaypvt wrote:Are you planning to solve this issue with limiation? did you ever tested the exact amount of players that capable of joining the game server?
I have plans to improve scalability but it'll take a major rewrite of the server code. The limits I've cited are based on feedback from existing customers. There's no way to pin down an exact number because the thread count is affected by the number of tables running, http file port connections, websocket packet port connections, internet bandwidth, CPU cores/speed, etc.