Change Default Display Mode

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
Dornica

Change Default Display Mode

Post by Dornica »

Hi Kent

Since it's not possible to make a table's window fullscreen in desktop mode, I was wondering if I could change the default Display Setting to "Mobile" instead of Auto Detect for everyone.
I couldn't find any option under system tab to do so.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Change Default Display Mode

Post by Kent Briggs »

Dornica wrote:Since it's not possible to make a table's window fullscreen in desktop mode
Options -> Arrange windows -> Tile windows. That will make a single table maximum size. Or the player can simply drag the bottom right corner of any table window and make it any size they want.
I was wondering if I could change the default Display Setting to "Mobile" instead of Auto Detect for everyone.
You can force it with the GUIMode URL parameter per the docs here: http://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/T ... tartup.htm

I would not recommend that unless your goal is to annoy all your desktop players who like to run multiple tables and watch the lobby, etc.
Stevenism101

Post by Stevenism101 »

Using this method, I am trying to force Desktop mode for mobile phones in Portrait view for users who are finicky with landscape mode and who are only on a phone:

GUIMode - use this parameter to override the player's local GUI Mode Interface setting. You may select from "desktop", "mobile", or "auto" as the parameter value. Example:
http://123.456.789.012?GUIMode=desktop

However I am still getting the "please rotate your device" with the button options that upon clicking still loads the lobby in Desktop because I used GUIMode. The problem is that I am loading it in the background so my users can use my UI to register etc. This is by design. The other problem is that there is an unnecessary 2nd step/button click to load the lobby, when both buttons go to Desktop mode anyway, as I have required.

How can I force Desktop mode for mobile phones in Portrait view without them having to click anything? GUIMode should override as it is stated. But I'm hoping that I am missing something here so I can have my UX to be how I'd like it.

Thank you Kent! Love your work.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Stevenism101 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:42 pm However I am still getting the "please rotate your device" with the button options that upon clicking still loads the lobby in Desktop because I used GUIMode. The problem is that I am loading it in the background so my users can use my UI to register etc. This is by design. The other problem is that there is an unnecessary 2nd step/button click to load the lobby, when both buttons go to Desktop mode anyway, as I have required.
You can use the Language tab to change the "rotate" message to something else. But there's no getting around the Full Screen/Regular Mode buttons because going to full screen requires a user interaction. Android won't allow it to happen otherwise.

But more importantly, running the client in Portrait mode and/or Desktop mode on a phone is going to be a terrible experience.
Stevenism101

Post by Stevenism101 »

Thank you for the "rotate" message option, I'll make do with that.

Yeah I agree, portrait is not the way.

Maybe this is just weird RNG, but I got early users who were pretty thrown off about my app requiring Landscape mode and I think I've been over-accommodating since then. Has this been a common complaint you've received? I felt like it would be, but I figured people would just rotate their screen and if they like the game, they won't care.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Stevenism101 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:22 pm Has this been a common complaint you've received?
No, the biggest complaint is not being able to stretch the table graphic full screen.