"Beep" Sound Played Upon Reconnect

For general discussion of the Poker Mavens software
nanopokerclub

"Beep" Sound Played Upon Reconnect

Post by nanopokerclub »

Currently it appears that Beep.mp3 / Beep.ogg is being played whenever a player goes through a momentary disconnect. Is there any option to configure this or preferably disable this feature? Whenever I have players waiting in the lobby and not actively playing they go through regular disconnects every few minutes and would not like that sound played upon the automatic reconnect. Thank you!
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: "Beep" Sound Played Upon Reconnect

Post by Kent Briggs »

That should only happen if players log out and log back in, and only if the player listening has "Login sounds" enabled under Options -> Sound Effects (which is off by default). Just reconnecting without a logout shouldn't trigger a sound. But I'll have to test that.
nanopokerclub

Post by nanopokerclub »

Thank you for the prompt reply, my site is configured to not play any login sound so this is a very odd occurrence. I’ll set up some screen and sound recording software to capture this scenario and will post logs as well.
nanopokerclub

Post by nanopokerclub »

Here is a quick video of this sound playing at reconnect: https://youtu.be/iRKGZk1jgM8
That is the sound I set as beep.mp3.
And here is a screenshot of the server logs: https://imgur.com/a/pi3Ok I notice there are quite a few simultaneous disconnects/reconnects.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Ok, it does play the normal "beep sound" on a disconnect to get your attention. It's the same beep that plays when it's your turn at the table. That can be turned off on the Options -> Sound Effects dialog but the real question is why are you disconnecting so often? If it's happening simultaneously to multiple players then the issue is likely with the server's internet connection.
nanopokerclub

Post by nanopokerclub »

Would it be possible to add a configuration to disable reconnect beeps by default? The work around for disabling all beeps would be detrimental to since it would also kill the in-game beeps.
With my current architecture I'm not sure it would be possible to prevent the regular disconnects from occurring. They aren't having any negative impact on gameplay, since only players not actively in a ring game and are waiting in the lobby seem to have this issue.

I suspect this is caused because I am forwarding all traffic from the windows poker server through my frontend server to improve the UI and have all content under one domain. So that extra hop from windows server -> frontend server -> client may produce some lost packets.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Disconnecting should be a rare event on healthy system so I have no plans to make an extra setting for that. You need to figure out the cause of the underlying problem.
nanopokerclub

Post by nanopokerclub »

Fair enough, I agree that the underlying issue should be corrected on my end rather than silence the result of an error. Thanks again for providing support!
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Try bypassing your front-end server (at least temporarily) and see if that makes a difference. If it's only happening when the player isn't active then it sounds like there is some kind of connection timer/killer in the path. The poker server sends a ping packet to the client if there is no communication in the past 60 seconds to keep the player's browser from dropping the connection.
nanopokerclub

Post by nanopokerclub »

I was able to change the configuration of my nginx server to keep forwarded connections live for longer, that seems to have corrected the issue. Thank you!