Page 1 of 2

tournament 'buy in'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:22 am
by ggroeller
... setting one suggests that a player needs a certain number of chips to register for / play in a terney, but I do not see any way to allow re-buys ( in fact the software says that you cannot ) ... seems that it should be possible.

Is there something that I'm missing - other than experience with Hold'em tournament play ?

Re: tournament 'buy in'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:53 am
by Kent Briggs
ggroeller wrote:... setting one suggests that a player needs a certain number of chips to register for / play in a terney, but I do not see any way to allow re-buys ( in fact the software says that you cannot ) ... seems that it should be possible.


There are such things as "rebuy tournaments" but it's not the norm and usually only applies to large, multi-table tournaments. There's typically a fixed period (one hour for most online sites) where rebuys are allowed and then an add-on option at the end of that. So it's a complicated setup that I don't currently support.

Re: tournament 'buy in'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:55 pm
by ggroeller
understood, thanks

begs another question ( I've not tried this yet ) is it possible to set a terney for NO initial buyin amount?

Re: tournament 'buy in'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:08 pm
by Kent Briggs
ggroeller wrote:understood, thanks

begs another question ( I've not tried this yet ) is it possible to set a terney for NO initial buyin amount?


Yes, you can set the buy-in to 0. Of course that makes the prizepool 0 so there won't be any payouts.

Re: tournament 'buy in'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:42 pm
by sgandtg
Would it be worthwhile adding a field where you could choose to add X number of chips to the tournament winnings? Default would be zero but this could be changed to make a zero buyin tournament winner gain chips.

Re: tournament 'buy in'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:28 pm
by Kent Briggs
sgandtg wrote:Would it be worthwhile adding a field where you could choose to add X number of chips to the tournament winnings? Default would be zero but this could be changed to make a zero buyin tournament winner gain chips.


Possibly. There are such things as "freeroll' tournaments that pay out prizes so it's not unheard of. Eventually I want to implement a payout schedule editor so I'll look at it some more when I get to that point.

Re: tournament 'buy in'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:21 pm
by ggroeller
Kent Briggs wrote:Yes, you can set the buy-in to 0. Of course that makes the prizepool 0 so there won't be any payouts.


did not realize that there was a 'prizepool', figured that last man standing got it all, shrug.

Re: tournament 'buy in'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:05 pm
by Kent Briggs
ggroeller wrote:did not realize that there was a 'prizepool', figured that last man standing got it all, shrug.


Only if there are less than 5 playing. The schedule is:

Code: Select all
Entrants   Prize Pool
2 to 4     1st: 100%
5 to 7     1st: 65%, 2nd: 35%
8 to 10    1st: 50%, 2nd: 30%, 3rd: 20%
11+        1 additional place paid for every 10 additional players

Re: tournament 'buy in'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:50 am
by ggroeller
Kent, thanks ... ^^^ that I did not know ( should I have seen that in documentation? << RTFM

/edit ... just to be sure that I understand this correctly ... terney w/ 5 players, buy-in = 10K (which is deducted from each players balance), disbursement is:
5th = 0
4th = 0
3rd = 0
2nd = 3.5K
1st = 6.5K

and, should there be a player disconnect ( weather, whatever ) they are dropped from the terney - eventually, correct?
and, what happens in the event of a 'server' disconnect ( the host PC, not pokermavens.net, under conditions same as above, shudder ) ?

( you know I got a million Qs as Iget up to speed ROFL )

Re: tournament 'buy in'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:58 am
by Kent Briggs
ggroeller wrote:/edit ... just to be sure that I understand this correctly ... terney w/ 5 players, buy-in = 10K (which is deducted from each players balance), disbursement is:
5th = 0
4th = 0
3rd = 0
2nd = 3.5K
1st = 6.5K


If the buy-in is 10K then the prizepool would be 50K with the 5 entrants with 32.5K going to 1st place and 17.5K to 2nd. The payouts for a tourney are displayed on the General tab after you click the Options button in the table window. Prior to starting, it just shows the general payout as I wrote in my previous message. After it starts, the exact chip payouts are shown once the number of entrants is known.


and, should there be a player disconnect ( weather, whatever ) they are dropped from the terney - eventually, correct?


They keep posting blinds and auto-folding until they get blinded out. Or if they return before then, they can continue playing.

and, what happens in the event of a 'server' disconnect ( the host PC, not pokermavens.net, under conditions same as above, shudder ) ?


If your server dies, you'll need to manually refund the buy-ins when you restart as I don't currently have any crash protection (that's on my to-do list). You can look at your hand history files to see who was playing at the time.