Server Lockedup Kinda

Report bugs found in Poker Mavens
majianlord

Re: Server Lockedup Kinda

Post by majianlord »

Server Lag Hunt.....

So i been watching the system all day today and the lag is not bad coule of times it was like 10 seconds. But i can confirm the following.

Ping stays the same CPU usage no change as in say before durning and afterlag and the same with memory.

Could it be player based? as in a player causeing it.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

majianlord wrote:So i been watching the system all day today and the lag is not bad coule of times it was like 10 seconds.
Is this the pause issue? What/how were you measuring that?

On game lag, I was referring to the time between when a player clicks the bet/call button and the time he sees his chips land on the table. You would proabably have to be in a game yourself to notice that.
Could it be player based? as in a player causeing it.
Hmm, maybe indirectly now that you mention it. See if you notice any correlation with a lot of people logging in or out right before. Each one triggers a signal to the server directory at pokermavens.net to update the Log column. That's supposed to be a threaded operation in background but I might have a backlog issue there.
majianlord

Post by majianlord »

YEah the lag issue is not the table it self per say that is perfect. I mean lag as in all tables on the server just stop for 1-60 seconds then go again. LIke the server is processing something before sending comamnds to the client its kinda weird.

I will see if i can track that down to player loggins at the same time.

But that i can deal with no problem since it keeps going. But the server locks ups both happend when server managers where not around to restart it right away.
selene

Post by selene »

I have more information on that leak. This evening we had about 30-40 people playing and on 7 tables going at once. Around 18-20 hours of uptime the CPU creeped up from 10% to 100% and the tables started responding sluggishly, but not impossible to play (not that bad compared to the old client, even). I had people wait to clear all games so I could stop/start the server. I did this by hitting the Stop/Start buttons, not closing the program. As soon as I did this, CPU usage dropped down to 0-2% again.

Also, a new issue came up. Once the server was back up and people started reconnecting, the screenshot attached happened. Around 100-150 error windows appeared, possibly linked to connections as they appeared once I opened that screen and appeared as I think people connected. I shut down the serverprogram completely and restarted, no bug, CPU is fine, etc. Also during all of this RAM usage remained low and unchanged.
Attachments
connection_errors.JPG
connection_errors.JPG (107.52 KiB) Viewed 8272 times
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

selene wrote:I have more information on that leak. This evening we had about 30-40 people playing and on 7 tables going at once. Around 18-20 hours of uptime the CPU creeped up from 10% to 100% and the tables started responding sluggishly, but not impossible to play (not that bad compared to the old client, even). I had people wait to clear all games so I could stop/start the server. I did this by hitting the Stop/Start buttons, not closing the program. As soon as I did this, CPU usage dropped down to 0-2% again.
Hmm, very interesting. Looks like I have a thread leak. That's why I was wondering about CPU usage earlier. Each player connects in their own thread, each tournament runs in its own thread, and each table in the tournament or ring game runs in a thread. If those aren't terminated correctly they suck up more and more CPU usage. With a high volume site like yours, the problem becomes visible faster. On top of that, the way the server communicates status changes back to pokermavens.net is not very efficient so I'll be redoing that code this weekend also.
Also, a new issue came up. Once the server was back up and people started reconnecting, the screenshot attached happened. Around 100-150 error windows appeared, possibly linked to connections as they appeared once I opened that screen and appeared as I think people connected. I shut down the serverprogram completely and restarted, no bug, CPU is fine, etc. Also during all of this RAM usage remained low and unchanged.
I don't know if that's related or not. Those access violation messages that Windows produces aren't very helpful because they just show raw memory addresses. Thanks for the feedback. Don't worry, I'm working on it! ;)
selene

Post by selene »

Thanks sir. I hope that our high traffic is helping to stress test your software, at the least =)
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

selene wrote:Thanks sir. I hope that our high traffic is helping to stress test your software, at the least =)
Yeah, I could have used you guys during beta testing ;) I've not found any thread leaks so far and I ran a stress test today that simulated 10,000 connects and disconnects but my local system handled that no problem, including filling up the Logs tab list with 10,000 items. The CPU usage fell back near 0% when I stopped. However I did discover a bug in my TCP/IP connection handler that would peg out the server CPU under certain conditions. I don't know if that is related to your lockup problem or not but we'll find out in the next day or two when I get the next release out.
majianlord

Post by majianlord »

More info, So my server is in the middle of the lock up, this tie no cpu spike no memeory spikes, i get the files when i connect but i cant access anything once i hit login. I can use the webadmin function all but the connections tab. If your around i would love for you to have a look at this. Any word on tracking this down.
majianlord

Post by majianlord »

Yes also if i go to the server console it is Minimized (it was visable before the lock up) when you try to make it big nothing happens and if you right click it they say its not responding and you have to kill it.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

majianlord wrote:Yes also if i go to the server console it is Minimized (it was visable before the lock up) when you try to make it big nothing happens and if you right click it they say its not responding and you have to kill it.
What was the time span between this one and the last one you had? By the way, I was lurking at your site the other night and witnessed one of those 20 second pause episodes mentioned before. Anyway, I'm still in the process of rewriting one section of code that deals with pinging the server directory. It may or may not have anything to do with the server freeze but at least I'll be able to eliminate it as a suspect.