Page 1 of 1

Table balancing issues with late reg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:04 am
by Raventhon
When a tournament goes from 9 registered to 10 registered, the 10th person gets sat alone at a new table, then players are moved over one per hand until the tables are balanced. It should be able to move multiple people, not just one per hand. Is this behavior intended?

Re: Table balancing issues with late reg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:18 am
by Kent Briggs
Raventhon wrote:When a tournament goes from 9 registered to 10 registered, the 10th person gets sat alone at a new table, then players are moved over one per hand until the tables are balanced. It should be able to move multiple people, not just one per hand. Is this behavior intended?


It's intended behavior in that I didn't want to scrap and re-write the existing table balancing code just for the new late registration feature. But I may revisit that once I'm confident all the existing bugs are worked out.

Re: Table balancing issues with late reg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:51 pm
by Kent Briggs
By the way, that particular situation where you started with a single full table and then a single person registered late is the worst-case scenario. That could take up to 4 hands to get balanced. But with more tables there would be fewer hands required, and often none at all as it gets more unlikely that all tables would be full for very long.

Re: Table balancing issues with late reg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:15 pm
by Raventhon
Kent Briggs wrote:By the way, that particular situation where you started with a single full table and then a single person registered late is the worst-case scenario. That could take up to 4 hands to get balanced. But with more tables there would be fewer hands required, and often none at all as it gets more unlikely that all tables would be full for very long.


This is still a huge deal. It may be the "worst-case scenario", but it's the most frequently-occurring situation. Can't you just have it repeat balancing actions until things are balanced, then deal the next hand?

Re: Table balancing issues with late reg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:15 pm
by Kent Briggs
Raventhon wrote:but it's the most frequently-occurring situation.


That is statistically unlikely.

Can't you just have it repeat balancing actions until things are balanced, then deal the next hand?


I'm hesitant to mess with my balancing code because it took awhile to get right (prior to adding late registration). But I'll review it.

Re: Table balancing issues with late reg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:01 pm
by Raventhon
Kent Briggs wrote:
Raventhon wrote:but it's the most frequently-occurring situation.


That is statistically unlikely.

Can't you just have it repeat balancing actions until things are balanced, then deal the next hand?


I'm hesitant to mess with my balancing code because it took awhile to get right (prior to adding late registration). But I'll review it.


Thanks, it's appreciated. Many of the higher-buyin tournaments my site runs get between 7-12 runners on a regular basis, and having someone late reg to take it from 9 to 10 players causes 4 unbalanced hands in a row. If it wasn't such a regular occurrence, it wouldn't be a big deal, but when it happens all the time it's a little upsetting.

Re: Table balancing issues with late reg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:09 pm
by Kent Briggs
Table balancing speed now much improved in 4.32

Re: Table balancing issues with late reg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:56 am
by Raventhon
Thanks, this change is wonderful! Really appreciated.