Connection timeout?

Report bugs found in Poker Mavens
arigorn

Connection timeout?

Post by arigorn »

After 10-15 minutes of not acting on the server, it seems to time me out, without a message. Its happened on multiple occasions, where I'm just sitting watching lobby, goto a table and nothing happens. Only way to fix is to refresh and re-log in. Not sure if its me, or the client however another person is experiencing the same exact situation.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: Connection timeout?

Post by Kent Briggs »

arigorn wrote:After 10-15 minutes of not acting on the server, it seems to time me out, without a message. Its happened on multiple occasions, where I'm just sitting watching lobby, goto a table and nothing happens. Only way to fix is to refresh and re-log in. Not sure if its me, or the client however another person is experiencing the same exact situation.
I'm not sure what you mean. You're already logged in for 10-15 minutes? What kind of table, ring or tournament? What do you mean by "nothing happens"? Does a table come up when you click the Observe Table button?
arigorn

Post by arigorn »

I'm logged into the lobby, not on a table. After 10-15 minutes, it idles out. If i try to observe a table, register on a table, show account balance, or ANYTHING nothing happens. The server still shows me logged in, but no actions work.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

arigorn wrote:I'm logged into the lobby, not on a table. After 10-15 minutes, it idles out. If i try to observe a table, register on a table, show account balance, or ANYTHING nothing happens. The server still shows me logged in, but no actions work.
I'll try that myself and see what happens. Is that repeatable every time?
selene

Post by selene »

This reminds me of a similar issue with the 1.x client, I haven't heard anything on this end. Back then it seems like there wasn't an official "you've timed out, shut down on your end" message sent from the server when a client timed out, the server simply tossed the connection and the client wouldn't update until the user clicked something and then it would display an error and/or update that you were no longer connected. Could be a similar problem of connection state not properly being relayed to the client side? (or I'm making no sense as I just woke up =P)
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

I started a local copy and logged in. I waited 15 minutes and had no problem going to the ring games tab and sitting down at a table. Did the same on my VPS at pmserver.net. There's nothing in the code doing anything to idle connections. It only check for disconnects. Is your server local under your control or hosted at a remote location? I'm wondering if you have some firewall that could be killing idle connections if no data is being passed after a certain amount of time? What happens if you click the Account Balance button in the client lobby every 5 minutes or so, does that prevent the lock-out?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

selene wrote:This reminds me of a similar issue with the 1.x client, I haven't heard anything on this end. Back then it seems like there wasn't an official "you've timed out, shut down on your end" message sent from the server when a client timed out, the server simply tossed the connection and the client wouldn't update until the user clicked something and then it would display an error and/or update that you were no longer connected. Could be a similar problem of connection state not properly being relayed to the client side? (or I'm making no sense as I just woke up =P)
Version 1 didn't have a automated reconnect system if the internet connection dropped. You just had to logout and back in manually, as I recall.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

arigorn wrote:The server still shows me logged in, but no actions work.
It could just be that your internet connection dropped (assuming your server is not on your local network). The server may still show your status as "Ok" since it hasn't attempted to send you any packets in 10 or 15 minutes.