POT button

Report bugs found in Poker Mavens
galnaveh

POT button

Post by galnaveh »

Include rake into POT button calculation.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Re: POT button

Post by Kent Briggs »

Not sure what you mean by that. The pot isn't raked until all the bets have been called and the chips scooped to the middle.
galnaveh

Post by galnaveh »

Live $1/$2 cash game. We see the flop with 6 limpers. I'm thinking of making a pot sized bet on the flop, so I think there's 6 x $2 = $12 in the pot.

Wrong. I see only $8 because there was a $4 rake drop.

In terms of bet sizing, "Bet pot button" should bet 12
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

galnaveh wrote:Live $1/$2 cash game. We see the flop with 6 limpers. I'm thinking of making a pot sized bet on the flop, so I think there's 6 x $2 = $12 in the pot.
Wrong. I see only $8 because there was a $4 rake drop.
In terms of bet sizing, "Bet pot button" should bet 12
For one thing, who implements a 33.33% rake? But regardless, a pot sized bet is what is actually on the pot. And in this scenario, that is $8. It says $8 in the Total box. It says $8 underneath the main pot chip stack. What other poker site in the world implements pot-sized bets in the way you describe?
galnaveh

Post by galnaveh »

33% rake it just an example and reading other sites, all sites that take the rake, not after each round of betting, only at the end of the round.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

galnaveh wrote:33% rake it just an example and reading other sites, all sites that take the rake, not after each round of betting, only at the end of the round.
"after each round of betting" and "end of the round" are the same thing. When the bets are scooped to the pot, that's when the rake comes out. That's how every site does it.
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

Also, a pot sized bet is calculated by taking the call to you and multiplying that by 2. Then add to that all of the other chips currently visible (pot and unscooped bets) on the table. Doing that gives the other player exactly 2 to 1 odds to call you. Rake already taken off the table from previous rounds or about to be taken off the table once the current round completes plays no part in that calculation. Doing so would screw up that 2:1 calculation.
segmentlime

Post by segmentlime »

Hi --

At risk of appearing stupid, or at least ignorant about poker (if it is stupid then I am sorry, but) I do not understand why the pot calculation is taking "the call to you [the bettor] and multiplying that by 2" before adding this to the visible chips. I do understand how this makes it 2:1 odds for someone to call this bet; but not seeing how this is a "pot" bet it as the "current pot" at the moment of placing the bet is what is referred to as the "visible chips" and as such it seems to me like a pot bet would be that amount. The calculation currently implemented does seem to be the calculation of max bet in pot limit poker (again sorry if i am wrong about this). Why is it that the current implementation is considered as a pot bet; is this something common known or understood in poker that I am sadly ignorant of?
Kent Briggs
Site Admin

Post by Kent Briggs »

segmentlime wrote:I do not understand why the pot calculation is taking "the call to you [the bettor] and multiplying that by 2" before adding this to the visible chips.
A better way to explain it is that you are raising the pot amount *after* you call any bet to you (if there is one). So that portion is figured in twice, once for the call and again for the raise since that call portion is now in the pot.